Frequently Asked Questions

1How long will it take to build my car?

It will probably take longer to strip the donor than it will to build the new vehicle. It’s not a race though and its very rewarding seeing your work coming together in the knowledge that its going to last for many years longer than most cars. Allow a year in your spare time or about 4 weeks full time and that should do it.

2Do I need any special tools?

Not really, a good set of normal garage tools will suffice, no welding or fabrication is needed, just a bit of cutting but a long ¾ inch 1 m long bar will come in handy if the donors fairly rusty.

3How much will it cost to insure?

My current MEV car costs under £200 fully comp via Footman James who offer a specialist kit car policy. Mine is insured without a no claims discount, garaged at night, includes road side recovery and is covered from NG18 on a 3000 miles per year basis.

4What happens if I need help with my build?

We can always help whether you need advice over the phone or email, or if you need a picture of a certain area. If you have a problem be it MX5 related or need extra kit building know how then follow our build guide or ask on the helpful MEV Owners Group forum you will be fine.

5Can my work be checked upon completion?

Yes of course, we can give it a full going over and remedy any small errors free of charge. We also offer free advice on prep prior to the I.V.A test. We will also guide you with the form filling.

6Q plate, new plate or age related plate?

No Q for MEV’s. Your donor will be registered as an MX5 so you will be given an age related plate as it will be classed as a “kit conversion”. The donors V5 will be needed at the I.V.A stage to prove the engines age so that the emissions test will be limited to that of the old vehicle.

7How will I register the vehicle once complete?

First you need an I.V.A test, they give you a I.A.C {individual approval certificate} and you present it with a V55/5 together with the road tax fee, insurance and your ID to your local D.V.L.A office. The good news is that you don’t need an M.O.T for 3 years, just like a new car.

8Is there an owners club?

MEV owners on track
Yes indeed, started and run by MEV owners, the forum based group has over 3000 members and is responsible for organising run outs, holidays and gatherings all year round.

9How do I get the car tested when built?

​The DVSA (VOSA) have test stations all over the UK for IVA testing (Individual Vehicle Approval) Once you have completed your car they will test it and issue an IAC (Individual Approval Certificate) provided it complies with the requirements of the manual found here.

IAC (Individual Approval Certificate).pdf

10Can I drive my car to have it tested?

​Yes you can, you will insure it with the VIN number on the chassis for a few weeks. Then you drive to the IVA test station, a very exciting time!

They will ensure your car is safe and that you have not left anything loose or dangerous, if t is dangerous they may not let you drive it home though!

11What about vinyl wrap?
A view on wrapping
A view on wrapping